Day 89 - Making a difference


Do you ever sit down at the end of a day and wonder if you have made a difference, or if anything you’ve done is worth it? 

I have to admit that there have been far too many days when I’ve thought that. 

- Did I make a difference in my kids lives today? 
- Did they even notice that I did everything for them again?
- Does anything I do really matter? 
- Would they be just as happy with a housekeeper and a chef? 

That last one makes me laugh because I know I’d love to have one of each!!! It was made even clearer these last few months, because as a mum of 4 strapping teenage boys, I cannot keep food in my house and all I seem to do is cook, bake, clean up, cook, clean up, cook, bake, clean up... you get the picture! 

Anyway - sometimes when we feel like we aren’t making a difference we have to stop and realise that we may not ever know. 

That sounds weird. Let me explain. 

Having all their clothes clean and in their wardrobes not only gives me the freedom from the constant ‘mum where are my...’ talks - but it allows my kids the freedom to pick what they want to wear and the confidence to know it’s all clean. 

Knowing that mum will be there to make the place clean and tidy allows the boys to invite people to their house without fear of embarrassment (in normal life!). 

The ways we give to the people in our lives - those we live with, those we work with, those we love - we may never know how something we say or do touches them or gives them the confidence they need, or the nudge they need, or the smile they need, but we know that when we don’t do it, it’s noticeable. 

I noticed that yesterday with the number of wee chats etc we all had when I wasn’t at full speed and doing things as usual. 

So keep doing what you do ladies - because somewhere out there someone sees a rainbow just because of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment