Day 79 - Light in the darkness


Today’s photo was one I have shared before - one that was taken one summer when I took my eldest son to Scotland for a wee treat. 

As we explored Stirling Castle on the second day of our trip, we went down into the dungeons, where there were no lights and very few windows. They had converted several of the cells into different rooms where you could experience different parts of castle life - like the music they listened to or the clothes they wore -but on the other side they had these dark cells, where there was nothing but stone walls, stone floors and a gate. 

But in this cell I found this little plant. There was a single ray of light shining down, and through the cracks in the stone floor a little plant had sprouted up and was growing. I didn't capture the image as nicely as I wanted - in my first attempt at the picture I used the flash and just got wall!!! - but I love the fact that it sits so clearly surrounded by darkness, yet living in the light.

It just reminds me of the words we read in John 8:12 -

Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, 
"I am the light of the world. If you follow me, 
you won’t have to walk in darkness, because 
you will have the light that leads to life."

Jesus is the only way to eternal life - and the only way to truly live in the midst of this dark world of ours. When I see this picture I'm not only reminded of the 'Light of the World' who came into the world to save us from our sins, but of the hope that He brings to a hopeless world lost in its own selfish desires. Praise God that He loves us that much!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment