Day 45 - Getting rid of distractions

Good morning lovely ladies! 



So today you’re going to get another thought from our family Bible times. We’ve got half way through Joshua and yes I am enjoying torturing the boys by singing “Joshua and the battle of Jericho” every time one of them is mentioned! 

Today’s thought comes from a couple of verses. 

“But the Israelites failed to drive out the people of Geshur and Maacah, 
so they continue to live among the Israelites to this day.”
‭‭Joshua‬ ‭13:13‬ ‭

“But the tribe of Judah could not drive out the Jebusites, 
who lived in the city of Jerusalem, so the Jebusites 
live there among the people of Judah to this day.”
‭‭Joshua‬ ‭15:63‬ ‭

“They did not drive the Canaanites out of Gezer, however, 
so the people of Gezer live as slaves among 
the people of Ephraim to this day.”
‭‭Joshua‬ ‭16:10‬ ‭

Sounds like a common problem. When we were looking into this we found that while God had told the children of Israel to drive out all the inhabitants of the land, and that He would help them, they didn’t all do that. 

Some (as above) justified it by making the people work as labourers and slaves instead. They let them stay, to live among them, but made it sound like it was a good idea. 

It just makes me think about all the things in my life that I know I should get rid of, or drive out, but I let them stay and justify why. 

  • Oh it’s ok that I have so many books - it’s good to read...

  • Watch too much tv? I don’t really watch tv at all...

  • My phone? Oh I just use it to text and maybe play the occasional game... 

The children of Israel didn’t realise at this point in their story how bad it would be for them, having these other nations living with them, eventually helping lead them astray to worship other gods. 

For me - I read when I should be doing other necessary jobs; I may not watch much TV, but as for Disney+ or Netflix - that’s another story completely; my phone is actually an extension of my arm and if I lost it I have no idea how I’d cope - it’s literally got my whole life in it. 

Somethings can seem completely innocent and useful even, but if we let them they will take over and before long we’re neglecting everything around us for it. 

A big challenge today ladies. But God promises to be there with us and help us with everything - even something as ‘silly’ as breaking the hold a mobile phone may have on you. 

Hoping you are having a good week. Keep singing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment